We all know that our produce is the finest in the world but we are now adding our own Truffle Festival to tickle the tastebuds of everyone curious enough to try them.
There will be truffle tastings and sales at farmers markets on Saturday July 11th and local restaurants have added special truffle dishes to coincide with the launch. Roots, in Lyttelton, restaurant of the year and Pegasus Bay Winery of the year, Waipara Valley, are just two that are getting into the truffle rooting spirit.
Truffle grower Gareth Renowden from Limestone Hills says:
“The festival is designed to give everyone a chance to taste truffles, and discover why they’re such a wonderful gourmet experience. There will be something for everyone, from the first time truffle taster to the aficionado, and a chance to learn how and why they’re doing so well in Canterbury. Nothing like this has ever happened before in New Zealand.”
On the programme:
- A truffle day out in the Waipara Valley on Friday, July 17th, featuring a truffle hunt, a North Canterbury Pinot Noir masterclass with local winemakers, and an amazing five course truffle lunch at Black Estate or Pegasus Bay.
- Truffle tastings and sales at farmer’s markets in Lyttelton, Christchurch and Amberley on Saturday, July 11th and July 18th.
- Truffle hunts in the Waipara Valley over the weekend.
- A week of truffle dishes all participating restaurants culminating in superb truffle dinners at on Saturday, July 18th, when the region’s finest chefs will conjure dishes to die for.
- Truffle growers will be on hand to explain the mysteries of the fabulous fungi.
- A truffle “open house” at the Harlequin Public House on the afternoon of Sunday, July 19th, featuring truffle tastings and wine matches, plus a “meet the truffle dog” session.
Other restaurants taking part include Harlequin Public House, Saggio di Vino, Pescatore, Black Estate, Cornershop Bistro, Town Tonic and Passenger & Co and also a special pop-up truffle dinner in the city.
For more information see Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canterbury-Truffle-Festival/702637499862869
The Festival web site: http://www.canterburytrufflefestival.nz
To book places on the Friday Waipara Valley truffle hunt, pinot masterclass and truffle lunch, visit:https://www.eventbrite.co.nz/e/truffle-and-pinot-day-in-the-waipara-valley-tickets-17405235528
For more information about the Festival and background on truffles: Gareth Renowden 021 790 070 or Gavin Hulley 027 462 6068
For truffles as a gourmet experience: Jonny Schwass 021 412 433
For wine & truffles: Angela Clifford 027 424 2871